Lipidomics: large-scale study of pathways and networks of cellular lipids in biological systems.
An accurate and real-time picture of diseased cellular processes can be obtained via metabolomics analysis. Indeed, the metabolome is more dynamic than the genome and the proteome and offers higher clinical value from a diagnostic perspective (when compared to transcriptome or the proteome).
- Lipidomics is a subset of metabolomics.
- Lipids have important physiological roles and are involved in many signalling pathways such as inflammation, cell growth and cell death to name but a few.
- The abnormal metabolism of lipids is closely related to several Metabolic Diseases, especially Obesity, NAFLD, T2DM and CVD.
- Lipid biomarkers can be easily analyzed from various non-invasive types of samples: blood, saliva, urine.
CellMade’s Lipidomics platform uses LC-MS
Compare the lipidome between control and test groups to identify those differences that may be relevant to specific biological conditions.
LC-MSn systems in lipidomics delivers retention time, exact ppm precursor masses, and product ion spectra as different means of identification. It is critical that the lipidomics LC-MSn platform offers high resolving power on both the HPLC separation and the MS detection to separate and distinguish the many isobaric and isomeric species found within biological lipid extracts. Lipid separations can be optimized using various columns, such as C18 reversed phase columns.
High mass accuracy paired with retention time is particularly useful for lipid identification because there may be too little information presented in the (often) sparse fragmentation patterns of lipid MS/MS spectra. Identification is performed using both the MS and MS/MS spectra, with quantitation occurring only at the MS level of the profiling experiment. The quantification is achieved using lipid class-specific internal standards that allow for unbiased and direct quantification of individual lipids directly from their mass spectra intensities. Therefore, CellMade delivers results expressed in absolute (and not in relative) values, which provides the basis for a direct comparison of different samples and experiments.
CellMade Application Examples
- Lipidomics focused on monitoring TNF-α receptor activity in human primary cell models.
- Lipidomics to discover a personalized medicine approach for the early detection of NASH.
- Lipidomics to monitor plasma lipids in food supplement intervention studies.
- Lipidomics biomarker study to validate a personalized medicine approach for the early detection of NASH.
CellMade offers a comprehensive range of lipid analysis services from organelles, cultured cells, body fluids and tissues.
For further information on our Lipidomics services, please refer to the Documents Centre of this page.